Photographs | Nic Granleese
The Hello House is a renovation and extension of a Victorian shophouse to accommodate a family home + artist's studio. The modest but beautiful front rooms were refreshed and its dysfunctional old back rooms demolished + replaced with new spaces more suitable for 21st century life.
Although limited in area, the comfort + generosity of the new addition is maximised by making every inch of the site’s available space visible from the main living area but protected from the busy street.
The Hello wall, designed in collaboration with artist Rose Nolan, is big but it's not dumb. The wall protects the house interiors while offering to start a conversation with passersby and its toothy brickwork contributes a new chapter to the brick + blockwork story of its 19th century heritage neighbours and their more recent descendants.
Rather than blending in or blanding out, Hello House is a slightly loud but friendly new face in the street.
Builder: Anthony Adams | CBI Complete Builder's Insight
Bricklayer: Rob Fuchshofer | R&K Fuchshofer
Joiner: John Matkowsky | M & J Cabinets and Joinery
Electrician | Linked Electrical Services
Painter | All Shades Painting
Concrete Floor Polishing | JV concrete
selection of articles about the Hello House
- Domain | Melbourne’s best-designed suburb
- Herald Sun | Conversation Starter
- The Weekly Review | Houses that Engage With the Street
- Mezzanine Magazine | Street Talk
- Open Journal | Remarking on a Wall
- Architecture & Culture (Korea) | Issue 413: 헬로 하우스
- Divisare | Atlas of Architecture: Hello House
- Feel Desain | The Friendliest House on the Block
- Design Milk | A House That Says Hello
- Better Homes & Gardens TV Show | Ep 19: Hello House
- HÄUSER | Einfach Einladend (Simply Inviting)
- The Age: Domain | Here's a fine architectural how-do-you-do
- Arquitectura y Diseño | 10 Best Buildings of 2014
- Houzz | Houzz Tour: A Creative Renovation Says Hello
- Habitus Living | Conversation Starter - The Hello House
- Yadokari - 見るたびに笑顔になれる家 "Hello House"
- Fubiz | Voici la Hello House
- HypeBeast | OOF! architecture x Rose Nolan "The Hello House"
- Architecture Lab | Hello House Australia
- Design Boom | A Friendly Greeting to Passersby
- Architecture AU | Type cast: Hello House
- Slate | Design Eye: World’s Most Extroverted Facade
- Contemporist | Hello House by OOF! Architecture
- Trends Folio | OOF! architecture 聯合藝術家Rose Nolan 打造“The Hello House"
Ben at Bowerbird.io would love to help with further information about this project. Give him a call: +61 435 196 520
Very excited to be part of the #ThinkBrick Awards jury this year. Entries now closed & judging commenced. There are worse things than poring over the best brick, masonry + roof tile projects of the year. Countdown to the @thinkbrickaustralia Awards Gala begins - it's always a blast Detail from #HelloHouse | 2015 #HorburyHuntResidential winner | photo: @NicGranleese > #OOFarchitecture #ThinkBrickAwards #ThinkBrickAwards2018 #ThinkBrickAwards2015 #NicGranleese #BowralBricks #AustralBricks #FlemishBond #RoseNolan @Buildin_the_Dream @mcintyre.elizabeth
A very friendly brick wall that greets every passerby with a cheery 'Hello' 👋 Worth a wave if you're ever in our neck of the woods! 😎 The Hello House designed by OOF! Architecture. 📷 by @nicgranleese Check out the whole house over on the #huntingforgeorge @community_journal #oofarchitecture #architecture #brickwall #hellohouse #australianarchitecture #richmond3121 #melbourne #melbournestreetart #streetart #archidaily